Placements are available in all Australian states and territories and applicants from rural and remote areas are encouraged to apply.
PEPA has three learning components:
- A supervised clinical attachment to:
- inpatient palliative care – to provide experience in the ongoing management of patients, case conferencing and the role of the multidisciplinary team
- acute hospital consultancy – to provide experience in the management of the patient and family needs during the transition from curative to palliative care and the management of complex acute problems and/or
- community practice – which can provide experience in management of patient and family needs in the community and the resources and equipment available in the home.
- A planned activity that you implement in your own workplace within three months of completing the attachment.
- The development of networks to assist you in your own practice with people with life-limiting conditions.
Financial support is available to assist you to undertake this education program, including contribution towards backfill (payable to your employer) and travel (for rural and remote applicants).
Tailored workshops are also available in most states and territories and are offered free of charge. To find out more see our calendar of events.
Watch Dr Phillip Good, Palliative Care Specialist talk about Optimising the Care of Palliative Care Patients. You will need to register and log in to watch the video.
Or, download the PDF version of the GP & Rural and Remote Medical Practitioner Learning Guide (version 2.1 2011)
2. 'Log in' - enter your user name and password
3. On the left hand side you will see two blue buttons - select ‘Submit a self-directed activity’
4. There will be a pop up box 'Attention' - just close it
5. Select the activity type you are wanting to submit eg. Supervised Clinical Attachment
6. Answer the questions
7. Select specific requirement eligibility/ training grant eligibility/CPR if applicable
8. Attach any supporting documentation
9. Tick ‘I agree’ under declaration
10. Click “SUBMIT”
For further information contact your state or territory PEPA manager, or visit their website.